Click on these links for more information about our museum
Our Museum is open from
Easter Good Friday 2019
During Winter, displays have been refurbished and others renewed
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOSSIL WALKS AT CREEKSEA
HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED AND
WILL NOT TAKE PLACE AS ADVERTISED ELSEWHERE
If you have any enquiries please contact us by email
BURNHAM MUSEUM is a registered charity run by members of the Burnham History Society.
BURNHAM MUSEUM aims to reflect the history and development of the town and its people
We are located in a former
boat-builders premises built around 1910 at the end of Coronation Road with our main
entrance on the Quay. Over two floors we have an interesting collection of exhibits,
displays and archive materiel relating to Fishing, the Oyster Fishery, Farming and
Agriculture, Boat Building and the local Iron Foundry as well as more homely items,
relating to the way our forebears lived. The collection ranges from stone age specimens to
the near present day. In our lower gallery's main hall, we hold regular special
Exhibitions and History Society talks.
Our Volunteer Stewards will be pleased to help and to answer questions.
Burnham-on-Crouch is on the Dengie peninsular on the North bank of the River Crouch and was for centuries a leading oyster fishery.With the coming of the railway in 1887 new opportunities arose, the foundry was established in the 1890s and the River Crouch was recognised as ideal for the growing sport of yachting. The railway gave fast access for the yachting fraternity as well as transport for commercial and agricultural activities. Boatyards and local traders readily adapted to this new opportunity and yachting remains a thriving activity today.
How to find us - Click here for location map (Aardvark Map)